Between the warm weather, countless BBQs, cocktail hour on the patio, and picnics in the park, summer is like one long celebration! But over-indulging in summer fare that is high on sugar and empty calories, may not leave you in the mood to party. Enjoy the best of the season while staying on track with your health and fitness goals by making a few smart switches in the kitchen!
Try our top 5 Healthy Summer Swaps:
1) Lean ice cream: Next time a craving strikes for a cold treat, make a healthy DIY version in minutes. Toss your favourite frozen fruit (we love raspberries and blueberries) in a food processor or blender along with a drizzle of honey. Add small amounts of liquid as needed to blend. Try adding coconut milk for a creamy, tropical twist! For best results, serve right after blending.
2) Soda swap: Choose a healthy refreshment on a hot day by swapping your pop for a sugar-free alternative. Kick up the flavour of plain water by adding your favourite herbs like mint or basil, cucumber slices, or frozen berries. Use a citrus press or squeeze by hand the juice of a whole lime or half lemon into a tall glass of sparkling water. Cheers!
3) Pasta-less salad: Give pasta salad a healthy makeover by swapping out the pasta for zucchini noodles. Make your own zoodles with a spiralizer or vegetable peeler, or pick some up ready-made in the produce section of your grocery store. Toss them with a zesty pesto or your favourite sauce for a healthy, no-cook, pasta-less salad!
4) Tortilla trade: Be a crowd-pleaser on BBQ night by whipping up homemade guacamole! It’s easy to make and full of healthy fats. You can serve it with homemade pita chips, cut celery, bell peppers or your favourite vegetables for dipping.
5) Cocktail conversion: Enjoy cocktail hour without loading up on sugar and empty calories by being strategic with your drink choices. Skip the daiquiris and opt for a white wine spritzer or a gin and tonic with a low-sugar tonic water. Whatever you choose, keep a glass of water on hand to help slow your pace and stay hydrated!
Get more summer-savvy healthy eating tips, and one on one coaching from a dietitian by contacting FSEAP. Team up with a Registered Dietitian who will tailor a nutrition plan designed for you, and provide the practical tips you need to succeed. Whatever your health and fitness goals, FSEAP Registered Dietitians are here to help you get started.